Randi W. Kochman is a co-managing shareholder and chair of the firm’s Employment Law Department.
She is dedicated to helping employers understand and navigate complicated and ever-changing employment laws so they can effectively manage employees, avoid costly mistakes, and focus on their core business.
Randi brings more than 25 years of employment law experience to work closely with her clients in all types of employment-related contexts including wrongful discharge, discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wage and hour compliance, contract disputes, restrictive covenant, unfair competition and trade secret matters in state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Randi routinely provides guidance on all types of policy, procedure, and personnel issues, including preparing employee handbooks, policies and agreements, and conducting harassment and discrimination awareness training. When disputes arise, Randi is tenacious in litigating employment and business tort issues in state and federal courts and administrative agencies. Randi lectures and writes regularly on all aspects of employment law. Randi is also regularly called upon to conduct independent workplace investigations into allegations of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and related issues.
Representative matters include:
- Secured temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction on behalf of insurance broker client barring prior employee and new employer from soliciting company accounts and engaging in other unfair competition. Ultimately secured extremely favorable settlement.
- Successfully resolved wage and hour class action with the U.S. Department of Labor for NJ-based transportation logistics company, saving company hundreds of thousands in fees and costs.
- Obtained complete dismissal of breach of contract, wage payment and related claims brought by former CEO against private equity group that had ownership interest in employer and secured dismissal of all non-contract claims against employer.
- On behalf of New York-based professional services company, secured temporary restraining order prohibiting competition by former employee who violated restrictive covenant and improperly retained confidential and proprietary information when leaving.
- On behalf of manufacturing client, obtained complete pretrial dismissal of independent contractor trucker’s claims brought against the company under the New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act.
- Following trial, secured complete dismissal of former employee’s claims of racial and gender discrimination and retaliation against chauffeured transportation company client.
- Secured summary judgment ruling as to liability of several former employees who breached duty of loyalty and unlawfully competed with elevator contractor employer.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of a child care service provider’s lawsuit filed in the Superior Court of New Jersey, alleging retaliation under the New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act, wage and hour violations, breach of contract, and violations of the New Jersey Constitution.
Networks & Affiliations
Randi has been significantly involved with the Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey, as a member of the Steering Committee for its Human Resource Council. She has also been actively involved with the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association (NJWLA), holding various leadership positions, including President, President-Elect, Vice President and Secretary. She currently serves as the NJWLA representative on the Supreme Court Committee on Gender in the Courts. Randi received the 2013 New Jersey Commission In the Law’s Professional Lawyer of the Year Award. Randi has also been honored with the 2019 New Jersey Women Lawyers Association WILL Platinum Award, Private Sector.
Randi is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Bergen County Bar Association. She has also served as a Barrister of the Sidney Reitman Employment Law Inn of Court.
Honors & Awards
Randi has been repeatedly recognized for her high quality legal work and professionalism.
- Named in the 2016-2023 Chambers USA Guide for Labor and Employment
- Named a Top 25 Leading Women Entrepreneur by LWE
- AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the premier directory of legal professionals
- 2015 Leading Women Entrepreneur & Intrapreneur Finalist
- New Jersey “Super Lawyer” since 2011
- Top 50 for 2015-2017 & 2020 Women New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Included in the Top 100 New Jersey Super Lawyers list 2015-2016
- Top 50 Women in Business recognized by NJBiz in 2011
- KSB Presidential Leadership Award, presented by the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association in 2015
- Professional Lawyer of the Year Award, presented by the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law in 2014
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.