White Collar Criminal Defense & Government Investigations
Whether you are facing a search warrant, subpoena, grand jury appearance, law enforcement visit, whistleblower allegation or civil investigative demand, you need counsel who is experienced, calm, and ready to act quickly, decisively and effectively on your behalf.
White collar criminal investigations, alleged misconduct and regulatory inquires often arise without warning. They have a direct, immediate, and significant impact on individuals, families, and companies. Allegations of wrongdoing have an existential threat on a business, its people, revenue, and its role in the marketplace. Similarly, allegations against an individual carry with it potentially life altering consequences and threats to one’s personal liberty.
In order to mitigate these impacts, you need counsel that listens, secures and evaluates facts, assesses legal issues, then pivots to see the road ahead, while crafting an individualized strategy, and determined method for its execution.
When called into action, our White Collar and Government Enforcement attorneys respond with a focus on mastering the facts, witnesses, evidence and client-centric objectives, facilitating government inquires and internal investigations. At our core, our attorneys strive to provide trustworthy, concise and reliable advice for the myriad of challenging issues often at play.
Chaired by a highly regarded, former federal prosecutor with an understanding of how investigations are initiated, structured, pursued, as well as resulting prosecution considerations, our clients benefit from our team’s real-world investigation and trial experience earned over decades in courts throughout the country. We are trial lawyers who have battled in the legal trenches and have the experience and insight to show for it.
Clients come to us when they find themselves in precarious positions and at a moment of true need. We are confident in our ability to handle a full range of government investigative, regulatory and enforcement actions, including those that hold the highest degree of financial, business, and personal risk. Our priority is to help clients avoid significant economic damage, potential criminal exposure, and negative publicity that often trails criminal or enforcement proceedings.
You want us in your corner
Our experience is extensive. Our approach is calculated, clinical, and our bite, when necessary, is fierce. In addition to government investigations and white-collar defense representations, we handle ethics, whistleblower and compliance-related inquires, applying strategies that help mitigate risk to the company or individual. We are driven to defend clients so they can refocus back to their business while the material risk to them has been diffused.
Confronting such heavily regulated areas requires the confidence and foresight that our team possesses.
We handle matters before agencies and regulators such as:
- Criminal, Civil and Antitrust Divisions of the Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Department of Defense (DoD)
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Department of Labor (DOL)
- Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN)
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Offices of Inspector General at federal, state and local levels
- State attorneys general and various state enforcement agencies
We provide counsel on a variety of statutes and regulations including:
- False Claims Act (FCA)
- Food Drug and Cosmetics Act (FDCA)
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA)
- Computer Crime and Abuse Act
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Anti-Kickback Act
- Bank Secrecy Act (BSA)
- Anti-money laundering (AML) regulations
- Securities laws
- Government contracting regulations
Select Experience Includes:
- Represented commodities trader alleged to have defrauded employer, trading partners and SEC investigators resulting in Federal civil, criminal and SEC litigation.
- Represented media personality alleged to have manipulated and groomed multiple subordinates into relationships resulting in Federal civil and criminal allegations.
- Represented CFO alleged to have falsified company records and mislead government regulators resulting in multi-year restatement of company earning and defense of parallel shareholder litigation.
- Represented offshore financial services company alleged to have participated in illegal payments to foreign head of state to secure exclusive construction and telecommunications contracts.
- Represented corporation and its board of directors alleged to have defrauded and mislead the U.S. Department of Defense in the sale of military related hardware.
- Represented Russian-based executive of energy company alleged to have engaged in a pattern of money laundering and flight from prosecution arising in multiple countries.
- Represented publicly held corporation in federal investigation related to alleged sale and delivery of unsafe and mislabeled U.S. military equipment leading to threat to U.S. military personnel.
- Represented privately held board of directors in internal investigation and report on the former CEO’s personal expenses, travel costs, and misuse of company assets determining whether the company improperly paid such costs as part of the CEO’s compensation. Related defense of parallel investor fraud litigation.
- Represented publicly held board of directors investigating allegations of improper relationship between senior executive and COO triggering SEC reporting investigation and shareholder litigation.
- Represented board of directors in internal investigation regarding allegations of improper and collusive board member voting patterns in granting company contracts and compensation.
- Represented prominent public scientific research center alleged to have intentionally destroyed and falsified federal research studies in attempt to secure congressional funding.
- Represented franchisor in multi-district breach of contract dispute over exclusivity of area of responsibility. Representation included multiple applications for and against temporary restraining orders, and emergent financial applications including allegations of corporate malfeasance.