Halina Kuizema |Legal Practice Assistant
201.489.3000 ext. 5107
Catherine Bostock is co-chair of the firm’s Environmental Department.
Her practice includes all aspects of environmental law with particular emphasis on managing the environmental facets of corporate and commercial real estate transactions.
A member of the firm, she advises developers, real estate funds and managers, business and real estate owners and lenders on the identification and management of environmental risks in a wide range of transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, development projects and financing transactions. Making use of her expertise in complex tools to resolve environmental issues for her clients, Catherine has extensive experience negotiating environmental insurance and guaranteed cleanup cost contracts to manage risks and facilitate transactions. She also counsels clients regarding financial incentives to enable redevelopment of heavily contaminated industrial sites.
Catherine has managed environmental risks for a wide variety of clients and matters, including:
- A seller of a portfolio of 23 New Jersey industrial properties in the comprehensive remedial, administrative and financial requirements of the New Jersey Industrial Site Recovery Act
- A dairy company in a dispute with the prior owners of the business concerning remediation of former operating locations resulting in our client taking over control of the cleanups and obtaining 100 percent cost recovery
- A school developer redeveloping a brownfield site in the negotiation with the property seller, remediation by a prior site owner and securing the cooperation of state regulators to meet an aggressive schedule for approvals and construction
- An aviation company complying with remediation requirements related to the sale of its assets
- A national developer in negotiating environmental obligations related to the acquisition of a heavily contaminated industrial property and obtaining $10 million in brownfield funding to redevelop the industrial site into a large mixed use development
- A real estate fund in the negotiation of seller remedial requirements and an insurance policy to enable the acquisition of a million-square-foot industrial property with known contamination
- Numerous clients ranging from closely held businesses to private equity investors, REITs and real estate funds, in negotiating environmental obligations in transactional contracts, cleanup contracts, insurance of environmental risks and overseeing environmental compliance
- Negotiating dozens of environmental insurance policies for sellers, buyers and clients conducting remediations
Networks & Affiliations
Catherine has been a Member of the firm since 2005. She has spoken on environmental issues at venues such as the Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the International Council of Shopping Centers and Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey-sponsored events. She has published articles in various publications, including the New Jersey Law Journal, The Record and the Environmental Claims Journal, for which she serves on the editorial board.