Dawn Brea |Legal Practice Assistant
201.489.3000 ext. 5019
Eric Latzer is a member in the firm’s Litigation Department.
He has handled matters in both state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels in various jurisdictions, including New Jersey, New York, California, and Texas. He has also managed cases through alternative dispute resolution forums, including arbitrations and mediations. Eric has represented individuals and multinational corporations alike, and his diverse practice focuses particularly on complex commercial litigation and shareholder and other business disputes.
He joined the firm as an associate in 2012, and since that time, he has assisted in the successful representation of clients in a number of complex litigation and related matters, including:
- Ongoing representation of Wimbledon Fund, SPC Class TT (Wimbledon) in fraudulent transfer litigation before the United States District Court for the Central District of California. Obtained a preliminary injunction freezing certain assets in favor of Wimbledon and successfully defended the subsequent challenge to the injunction before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Later prevailed on summary judgment and secured a judgment of approximately $20 million against two defendants.
- Represented a New York City deli business in successfully opposing an appeal of a trial court order denying a motion to vacate a summary judgment order entered on default. 1625 Market Corp. v. 49 Farm Market, Inc., 165 A.D.3d 426 (1st Dep’t 2018).
- Represented EverBeauty, Inc., an international distributor of hair products, in successfully appealing a trial court order denying a motion to compel arbitration in an employment dispute. So v. EverBeauty, Inc., No. A-3560-16T4, 2018 WL 259393 (App. Div. Jan. 2, 2018).
- Represented a local church and its pastor in successfully obtaining dismissal of a complaint for various reasons, including lack of subject matter jurisdiction. Trial court’s decision affirmed on appeal. Cho v. Choi, No. A–0230–16T4, 2018 WL 1597718 (App. Div. Apr. 3, 2018).
- Represented the reverend of a local church in successfully obtaining dismissal of a complaint for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. Trial court’s decision affirmed on appeal. Trs. of the Alpine Methodist Episcopal Church v. New Jersey United Methodist Church, No. A–4583–15T2, 2017 WL 6492523 (App. Div. Dec. 19, 2017).
- Represented EverBeauty, Inc. to recover damages resulting from the negligence of its insurance brokers for $3.6 million in losses from Superstorm Sandy; as well as in successfully appealing a trial court order denying a motion to compel arbitration in an employment dispute.
- Represented Luidia, Inc. and PNF, Inc., leaders in the whiteboard-technology industry, against claims by its manufacturing-vendor in a lawsuit before the Superior Court of California, San Mateo County, for millions of dollars in damages and rights to a patent portfolio. Successfully vacated a $1.8 million judgment.
- Represented a real estate developer in a dispute with its construction manager over the performance of a $100 million guaranteed maximum price contract.
- Represented a major concert promoter/venue management company in an LLC and contractual dispute with the owner of a theater.
- Successfully opposed summary judgment motions in a personal injury matter in which government defendants sought immunity under the New Jersey 911 statute, N.J.S.A. 52:17C-10, and the Tort Claims Act, N.J.S.A. 59:1-1 et seq.
- Represented a major New Jersey law firm in the defense of a legal malpractice action seeking more than $5 million in damages.
- Represented a commercial landlord in the successful defense of an appeal before the New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division, in which the tenant claimed constructive eviction. Puccini Foods, LLC v. Abbott Indus., Inc., 2013 WL 6223366 (App. Div. Dec. 2, 2013).
Networks & Affiliations
Eric is currently serving on the District Ethics Committee for Bergen County South, whose members are appointed by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Eric is an active member of the Bergen County Bar Association, the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, and the John J. Lifland American Inn of Court.
He serves on the Board of Directors of the Adler Aphasia Center, a non-profit organization in New Jersey dedicated to improving the lives of people with aphasia, an acquired language disorder resulting from stroke or other brain injury.
Honors & Awards
Eric has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by New Jersey Super Lawyers. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Eric earned his B.A. in Journalism from The College of New Jersey cum laude in 2008 and his J.D. magna cum laude from Seton Hall University School of Law. During law school he was a member of the Seton Hall Law Review, the Interscholastic Moot Court Board, and the Honor Council. Upon graduation he was inducted in to the Order of the Coif, which is an honorary scholastic society that recognizes excellence in legal education.