Wendy M. Berger is a member of the firm’s Real Estate Department.
Wendy counsels developers, real estate equity and opportunity funds, real estate investment trusts, investors, owners and tenants in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions. Her practice emphasizes the representation of commercial, retail, industrial, restaurant, entertainment, hotel, religious, educational, medical and residential developers in the development and redevelopment entitlement process, construction-related issues, and liquor license transfers and operational permits both in New York and New Jersey.
Wendy regularly appears before governing bodies and planning and zoning boards through both New York and New Jersey on behalf of developers in connection with applications for development, redevelopment, rezoning, site plan, subdivision and variance approvals, as well as redevelopment, development and financial agreements (tax abatements). Wendy works with the developer and its team of design professionals to guide the project through the rigorous development regulatory process.
Wendy is experienced with all state and federal land use regulations and has represented corporations on zoning issues of first impression before the New Jersey courts. Her professional focus includes representation of clients in the acquisition, due diligence, sale and financing of commercial and residential properties. Wendy also concentrates in the formation of and administration of condominiums and cooperatives for both residential and commercial properties.
A Member of the firm since 1989, Wendy has played a prominent role in representing an array of real estate entities including:
- Hospitals in the development and continuing expansion of facilities to meet ongoing community needs
- A developer in the acquisition and development of a ski resort in Vernon, New Jersey
- A car dealership in the development and remodeling of several of its dealerships
- National restaurant chains in the establishment of eateries in New Jersey
- Varied Religious and Educational institutions, including a church in the establishment of its headquarters on a 100-acre campus
- A national phone carrier in the expansion and development of its retail stores throughout New Jersey and New York
- An international chain in the development of its first athletic/entertainment venue in New Jersey
- A cellular telephone carrier in the expansion of its cellular antenna and tower network
- Major e-commerce provider in the establishment of distribution/fulfillment center
- Self-Storage operators in the acquisition and development of self-storage facilities
- Multi-family residential developers of townhouse, midrise, and high-rise developments
Networks & Affiliations
Wendy teaches Real Estate Law as an Adjunct Professor at New York University and has also taught at Baruch University. A featured speaker for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the Bergen County Bar Association and the Bergen County Board of Realtors, Wendy has been a frequent guest lecturer for the International Council of Shopping Centers. She was former treasurer and board member of CREW New York and was a CREW national committee member. She has also served a three-year membership on the Bergen County Judicial Appointments Committee, Judicial Performance Committee, the Ethics Committee and the Nominating Committee and the Bergen County Bar Association’s Land Use and Real Property Committees (former chair).
Honors & Awards
Wendy has been awarded an AV rating for her professionalism and the quality of her legal work from Martindale-Hubbell, publisher of the premier directory of legal professionals. Wendy has garnered professional accolades from Real Estate Weekly, Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.