A member in the firm’s Bankruptcy & Corporate Restructuring Department since 1993, Stuart Komrower has a varied practice as a leading debtor-creditor practitioner.
He has extensive experience in representing debtors, creditors, trustees, creditors’ committees and litigants before the state, federal and bankruptcy courts in numerous jurisdictions. His practice includes a concentration in secured creditor asset recoveries, debtor-in possession financing and Section 363 sales and dispositions under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Having been with Cole Schotz since 1987, Stuart has played leading roles in the following significant cases:
- Representation of Yorkville Advisors in a trial of a $97 million fraudulent transfer matter;
- Counsel for Hartz Mountain Industries in American Commercial Incorporated;
- Representation of leading criminal defense firm in obtaining a summary judgment award dismissing a multimillion dollar fraudulent transfer claim suit;
- Conflicts counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors in Patriot Coal Corporation;
- Conflicts counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors in Parmalat U.S.A.;
- Counsel for secured debt holder LV Administrative Services in Pac-West Telecom, PPM Technologies, Prolink Holdings Corp. and various other matters;
- Representation of the Chapter 11 trustee in a successful plan of reorganization in IVM Corporation;
- Counsel for the official committee of unsecured creditors in First Interregional Advisors;
- Counsel for a national sports franchise owner in the acquisition of assets in Bridgewater Sports Arena;
- Counsel for the official committee of unsecured creditors in Krauzer’s Convenience Stores; and
- Counsel for the official committee of unsecured creditors in Accessory Place.
Networks & Affiliations
Stuart has been involved in the following professional activities and organizations:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Debtor-Creditor Section
- Bergen County Bar Association, past chairman, Debtor-Creditor Section
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey, mediator
- Bankruptcy Inn of Court, master
- District Fee Arbitration Committee, panel chair
He has lectured on bankruptcy and debtor-creditor related topics for various organizations, including the Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the National Association of Credit Managers and the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants.
Honors & Awards
Stuart has been recognized in Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, an internationally recognized ranking derived from extensive client and peer interviews and reviews, which has noted that “Stuart Komrower is a well-known figure in the bankruptcy arena…He practices in complex bankruptcy disputes,” having been recognized “as a result of his intelligent reputation” and as “an attorney who ‘won’t keep the meter running just for the sake of it’ when acting for clients.” Stuart has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in the prestigious Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law since 2010 and is regularly included in the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.