James A. Lewis, V is the firm’s inaugural Chief Diversity Equity & Inclusion Officer.
Known for his deep experience developing and implementing DEI programs in the public, non-profit and legal sectors, James serves as a thought leader in best practices in advancing diversity internally within the firm, and externally throughout the legal industry by virtue of education, collaboration, and intentional initiatives. Additionally, James heads the firm’s DEI Committee which creates and promotes equitable policies, develops networking and educational activities, and supports the firm’s expansive mentorship and sponsorship impact.
Through his nearly decade long experience as an employment attorney, James leverages his expertise in employment law compliance and litigation of federal, state, and administrative matters, to inform his role as an adviser and driver of DEI. With this unique lens, James serves as a leader in the legal community and beyond. James’ DEI leadership includes his prior service as the Executive Director for the New York Bar Association, Office of Diversity Equity Inclusion & Belonging. In that role, James provided trainings on implicit bias, best practices in employee onboarding and employee feedback to organizations, which included AmLaw 200 law firms and government agencies.
James is a sought-after speaker and is frequently called upon to discuss diversity and employment matters, including building and sustaining inclusive workspaces, fostering allyship and combatting invidious discrimination. James is regularly published in connection with his insights as it relates to the evolution of DEI and workplace matters in the legal field. For his service, James has received a number of awards, honors and distinctions. In 2022, James was recognized by the New Jersey Law Journal as a “New Leader of the Bar,” which recognizes professionals under the age of 40 across law firms, corporate legal departments, or other organizations in the New Jersey legal community for their notable achievements and outstanding potential. They are selected based on their development of the law, advocacy and community contributions, service to the bar as well as peer and public recognition.
Networks & Affiliations
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- American Bar Association
- Garden State Bar Association (President-Elect)
- Hispanic Bar Association
- Kismet of Kings (Board Member)
- National Bar Association
- New Jersey Law and Education Empowerment Project (Advisory Board Member)
- New Jersey Law Journal Young Lawyer Advisory Board
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Past Board Member)
- New Jersey Supreme Court Civil Practice Committee (Former Member)
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Jury Selection in Civil and Criminal Trials (Member)
- New Jersey Supreme Court, District Ethics Committee (VB) (Former Member)
- New York City Bar Association
- The Ethical Community Charter School (Board Member)