Jill Babicz |Legal Practice Assistant
201.489.3000 ext. 5017
Alan is a member in both the Corporate Transactions and the Tax, Trust and Estates departments.
His professional focus includes mergers and acquisitions, joint venture planning, secured financings, shareholder and partner governance and acquisition and disposition of distressed debt. His practice is national in scope and he has extensive experience in implementing tax, business, and estate planning strategies for closely held businesses and venture capital.
An attorney with Cole Schotz since 1990 and a member since 1993, Alan has managed or played a significant role in transactions such as:
- Joint venture planning in connection with the acquisition of multiple mixed use commercial buildings in Manhattan
- Sale of a national product manufacturer in a transaction valued in excess of $100 million
- Purchase of a regional retail utility provider in a transaction in excess of $150 million
- Acquisition of a textile manufacturing plant in North Carolina
- Sale of a textile manufacturing plant in South Carolina
- Sale of an electronics manufacturer with multiple plants and a pharmaceutical manufacturer to different private equity funds in transactions valued at $150 million
- Design and implementation of management buyouts of private and public entities
- Strategic planning for debtors and creditors in bankruptcy restructuring, including Section 363 sales and maximizing tax attributes, including representation of Ronson Aviation, Ronson Consumer Products and Tarragon Real Estate Funds
- Restructuring troubled corporate and limited liability entities to avoid bankruptcy through debt and equity adjustments, including in connection with a regional restaurant chain for a private equity firm, and a technology based manufacturer for an existing creditor group
- Secured financing facilities in excess of $50 million for various clients including in consumer products, nondurable goods manufacturing, and international shipping
- Mezzanine financing of New York commercial real estate and purchases and sales of interests in outstanding debt instruments secured by commercial real estate
- Food distribution business as the seller in a $90 million acquisition by a national distributor
Alan has addressed symposia sponsored by the New Jersey Bar Association, New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants and local business groups. He has lectured to the MBA programs at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and the Graduate School of Business of Columbia University. For over a decade, he was a contributing author of a chapter in the New Jersey Tax Handbook (ALM), including authoring a chapter dealing with taxation in New Jersey environmental matters. He has been quoted in several periodicals including the Bergen Record and the New York Times. He has served for many years on the Board of Directors of the Penn Club of Metropolitan New Jersey and was elected as its Treasurer and then President. He has served on several committees of the New Jersey Bar Association and New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants. In addition, Alan was appointed to the Citizen’s Financial Advisory Committee of Millburn Township, New Jersey, and served on the Board of Trustees for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Greater North Jersey Chapter.
Alan received his BS in Economics and MS in Accounting from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, his Juris Doctor magna cum laude from the University of Pittsburgh, and his LL.M (in Taxation) from New York University.
Alan is a Certified Public Accountant and is admitted to the bars of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, the District of Columbia and the United States Tax Court.
Honors & Awards
Alan has been consistently selected for recognition by Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law and New Jersey Super Lawyers for Mergers and Acquisitions. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.