Devika S. Sammy |Legal Practice Assistant
212.752.8000 ext. 3006
Emanuel Tsourounis II is a member of the firm’s Real Estate, Real Estate Special Opportunities and Restaurant and Hospitality Groups.
Emanuel’s practice spans a wide range of commercial real estate transactions including advising on the origination, servicing, and restructuring of mortgage and mezzanine loans, bridge and construction loans, revolving credit facilities, and preferred equity investments and related secondary market transactions, as well as negotiating joint ventures, acquisitions, dispositions, ground leases, and various development-related agreements, and involves real estate assets consisting of multifamily residential, office, retail, hospitality, industrial, and mixed-use properties located across the United States.
Emanuel’s clients include domestic and foreign banks, developers, real estate investment funds, real estate investment trusts, Fortune 500 companies, and other institutional clients. In his lending matters, Emanuel represents lenders in connection with the origination of loans intended for both securitization and to be held in portfolio.
The following representative matters were completed prior to Emanuel joining the firm:
- The purchase and servicing of separate revolving credit facilities with approximately $7 billion in aggregate commitments (including expansion options) secured by mortgages encumbering conventional multifamily residential properties, senior and student living facilities, workforce housing and manufactured housing communities
- A domestic bank’s origination of a $408 million mortgage loan for an office complex in San Jose, California
- A real estate investment fund’s acceptance of a conveyance-in-lieu of foreclosure for a defaulted $36 million mezzanine loan and the subsequent work-out of a $91 million construction loan in connection with the development of a residential condominium project in Portland, Oregon
- A real estate investment fund’s $20 million preferred equity investment in a redevelopment project consisting of a ground leased, mixed-use property in the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan, which is subordinate to a $35 million construction loan
- An insurance company’s origination of a $158 million mortgage loan that refinanced a single-tenant commercial property in Seattle, Washington
- A real estate investment fund’s $45 million junior mezzanine loan that refinanced two multifamily development projects in Irvine, California, which is subordinate to a combined $265 million of mortgage and senior mezzanine loans
- A family-owned developer/operator’s $60 million refinancing of an office tower in McLean, Virginia
- A family-owned developer/operator in the sale of two student housing complexes in College Park, Maryland
- A publicly-traded REIT (as lessor) in connection with the negotiation of a ground lease for the development of a $500 million corporate headquarters and retail complex in Somerville, Massachusetts
- An international client in connection with the acquisition, development and $54 million financing of a mixed-use development project in Silver Spring, Maryland, including the construction of a replacement church for the seller
- A publicly-traded REIT in connection with the negotiation of a joint venture for the development and operation of a 177-room hotel in a mixed-use condominium project in Rockville, Maryland
Emanuel received his J.D. from Cornell Law School and his B.A. from Cornell University, with distinction in all subjects. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, in the State of New York and the District of Columbia, where he has also previously practiced.
He also currently serves as a member of the Cornell University Council and the Cornell Committee on Alumni Trustee Nominations.