Michael C. Klauder, an associate in the Litigation and Real Estate Departments, represents small business owners, commercial landlords and residential/commercial developers among others in the real estate and construction industries.
He has resolved numerous contentious issues involving eviction, foreclosure, rent control issues, construction defects, and contract disputes. Michael understands that no matter the contention, it is imperative that his client be able to maintain operations with the least amount of disruption.
His experience includes:
- Represented one of the largest international franchisors in a variety of landlord/tenant and leasing disputes. In each case, Michael resolved the dispute and regained possession of the property for the franchisor.
- Defended a Hudson County condominium developer against construction defect and other claims filed by the condominium association seeking millions of dollars in damages.
- Represented a large multinational provider of global work space in an effort to reacquire control of its properties.
- Represented co-members of a joint venture in a dispute against the other members involving several multi-million dollar hotels, resulting in exclusive title to a multi-million dollar hotel as well as a multi-million dollar damage award.
- Represented numerous New Jersey-based real estate developers in connection with rent control compliance issues and analyses.
- Represented a commercial landlord before the United States Board of Contract Appeals in an action to enforce the terms of a lease agreement and compel the United States Postal Service to perform repair work on the exterior of the property, resulting in a favorable early settlement wherein the USPS agreed to promptly fund all the required repair work.
- Represented a number of New Jersey-based real estate developers in resolving heavily contested foreclosures.
- Defended numerous New Jersey franchisees against various claims asserted by franchisors, suppliers and vendors.
- Defended a small business owner in Bergen County against numerous citations and adverse actions undertaken by a local building inspector.
- Defended a co-op association against claims discrimination and other claims filed by a former employee.
- Represents a Major League Baseball organization in asserting and defending claims against its former branding agency .
- Defended numerous small businesses in New York City against wage and hour claims asserted by current and former employees.