James T. Kim is a member of the Litigation, Employment, Real Estate, and Real Estate Special Opportunities Departments.
James counsels private equity firms, opportunity funds, sponsors, lenders, investors, shareholders, joint venture partners, and business owners in connection with their business disputes and corporate transactions that require creative solutions and sophisticated structuring. James has been recognized for representing clients in difficult and complex adversarial matters, as well as commercial transactions that require the successful resolution of competing claims and disputes. His litigation practice focuses on representing clients in shareholder and partnership disputes, corporate dissolutions, foreclosure, unfair competition, employment and intellectual property litigation in federal and state courts, commercial arbitration, adversary proceedings in the bankruptcy courts, workouts and chancery court proceedings.
A member of the firm since 2005, James has worked on a number of complex litigation and workout matters, including representing:
- Large private equity fund in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding that resulted in the dismissal of the former sponsors’ claims exceeding $500 million against our client;
- Chicago-based hedge fund in a $1 billion lender liability litigation with a large bank seeking to force a wind-down of the fund and its assets;
- Large New York-based real estate investment fund in acquiring a $70 million senior debt secured against eight apartment buildings that was the subject of a foreclosure and receivership action, and successfully negotiating a workout with the borrowers, mezzanine lenders and receiver that allowed our client to take control of all of the collateral upon closing;
- New Jersey-based real estate developer in successfully resolving a $200 million contested foreclosure with the special servicer;
- New York-based developer in a workout transaction that allowed our client to successfully complete its condominium project and achieved global resolution and satisfaction of the senior lender’s $20 million loan and the junior lienholder’s claims and judgments;
- Hedge fund that invested in a New Jersey golf course in successfully navigating through multiple bankruptcy proceedings filed by the borrower, as well as a state court condemnation proceeding, to recover its entire investment;
- Real estate opportunity fund in successfully foreclosing on a $60 million mortgage in Fort Lee, N.J.;
- 50-percent shareholder in litigation against its partner for breach of fiduciary duties and mismanagement, which resulted in the buy-out of our client’s 50 percent interest in the company and resolution of all claims between the shareholders;
- Sponsor in a chancery litigation with its hedge fund lender that was seeking to impose an equitable lien against the sponsor’s assets; and
- Investors in a corporate dissolution proceeding involving the disposition of over $250 million in stock and other assets.
Honors & Awards
Recognized for his high marks in business and commercial litigation, James was selected by the New Jersey Law Journal as one of “40 Under Forty” young achievers in the state. Previously, the Law Journal had selected him as one of only 50 attorneys included in its notable “Women and Minorities in the Legal Profession” list. He has been selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars in Business Litigation, and was named a New Jersey “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation 2010: The Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
See Award Methodology.