Karen Jeffreys |Legal Practice Assistant
201.489.3000 ext. 5089
A member in the firm’s Litigation, Intellectual Property and Employment practice groups, Emily provides effective and business-minded solutions to individuals, closely held companies and multinational corporations on a range of sophisticated matters.
Emily advises clients on complex commercial litigation matters, business disputes, employment law matters, and prosecution and management of registered trademarks. She helps clients navigate and resolve complex shareholder, partnership, and joint venture disputes, as well as a wide variety of trademark infringement disputes and trust and estates litigation. Emily is also routinely appointed by the courts to serve as guardian ad litem in probate and Chancery court proceedings.
Emily has obtained favorable results in a variety of cases, including:
- Defending and prosecuting numerous breach of fiduciary duty and fraud claims for and against directors and officers of major corporations.
- Securing an injunction to prevent a former employee of a NY-based professional services company from transferring its customer base, who violated restrictive covenant and improperly retained confidential and proprietary information when leaving.
- Representing a borrower induced into defaulting on an approximately $30 million loan after lender unreasonably delayed and failed to approve a major lease in accordance with the terms of the loan documents, which led to the lender filing a foreclosure complaint against the borrower. Emily and the team successfully defended the foreclosure which resulted in a workout that reduced the client’s debt by over $10 million.
- Successfully defending trademark infringement disputes before the federal district courts and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Securing an excess of $30 million for a Korean publicly traded company in post-judgment collection actions.
- Successfully representing a landlord against a tenant who filed for relief under the bankruptcy code on the eve of the eviction trial. Emily and her team moved swiftly to obtain an entry of an order by the Bankruptcy Court confirming that the debtor/tenant no longer possessed an interest in the property due to landlord’s pre-bankruptcy termination of the lease. Emily also commenced and prosecuted a lawsuit against the guarantor of the lease which resulted in a favorable settlement pursuant to which the landlord recovered outstanding payments under the lease.
Networks & Affiliations
Emily is a member of the Asian Pacific-American Lawyers Association for New Jersey (APALA), Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York (KALAGNY) and Bergen County Bar Association.
She is fluent in Korean.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
A proud member of the firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee since 2016, Emily shares the firm’s commitment to advancing opportunities in the legal community. Emily is active in DE&I initiatives both inside and outside of the firm and participates in a range of educational, mentorship and networking programs. She serves as a mentor in connection with the firm’s internal mentorship program as well as for law students in both the Rutgers Minority Student Program and KALAGNY.
HONORS & AWARDS
Emily is featured on the Super Lawyers Rising Stars list for 2022. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.