Heather L. Demirjian uses her broad range of experience in state and federal environmental law to craft creative solutions to her clients’ complex environmental needs. Heather represents and counsels a wide array of clients, including real estate developers, banking institutions, commercial, industrial and manufacturing operations, data centers, oil and gas companies, municipal utilities, and government entities. She counsels clients with an eye toward finding ways to use the requirements of environmental law to support her clients’ strategic objectives and to minimize the impacts of those requirements on their business needs.
Heather has significant experience assisting clients on environmental transactional, regulatory and litigation matters, including:
• Counseling a national real estate investment trust in obtaining state and federal environmental permits and securing the first waiver of New Jersey Coastal Zone Management Rule requirements under the N.J. Dept. of Environmental Protection Waiver Rule for a $1 billion mixed use waterfront development in Camden, New Jersey.
• Negotiating favorable environmental contractual provisions and managing Seller’s disclosures and ISRA compliance obligations for a wood door finishing and warehousing company’s asset sale to a public national door manufacturing entity.
• Counseling an international airline in obtaining, modifying, and transferring Clean Air Act Title V, NPDES, Storage Tank, RCRA, and Pa. Dept. of Environmental Protection permits and risk management plans for the acquisition and operation of an oil refinery.
• Successfully resolving U.S. EPA Clean Water Act violations and obtaining penalty reductions for a national gas pipeline company for releases during the construction of a natural gas pipeline.
• Conducting an internal investigation for a national chemical manufacturer in connection with potential violations under various state and federal environmental statutes.
• Defending a national railroad against liability in large, multi-party Superfund site matters for sites in New Jersey, Maryland, New York, and
• Negotiating a favorable settlement of claims against a client under Massachusetts law for the reimbursement of remediation costs incurred by a municipal entity for historic PCB and PAH contamination.
Heather is on the Board of Directors for the Environmental Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association and is a member of the Delaware Valley Environmental American Inn of Court. She has taught environmental litigation courses as an Adjunct Professor at Rutgers University School of Law in Camden, New Jersey and has coached the law school’s Pace University National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition team.
Prior to joining the firm, Heather was a senior environmental associate in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at an international firm, and led the environmental practice group at a leading regional New Jersey law firm.
While in law school, Heather participated in the Stetson University International Environmental Moot Court Competition and the Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. Heather also clerked for the Environmental Enforcement Section of the United States Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. and for the United States Environmental Protection Agency in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Heather earned her B.A. from Rutgers University in 2002, and her J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law in 2005. Upon completion of law school, Heather clerked for the Hon. Carol E. Higbee, Presiding Judge Civil Division, Superior Court, Atlantic County, New Jersey, where she worked on Vioxx, Accutane, and Hormone Replacement Therapy mass tort litigation matters.
June 30, 2020
As published in: New Jersey Law Journal March 5, 2020
As published in: ROI-NJ.com February 25, 2020
As published in: New Jersey Law Journal January 22, 2020
Environmental Law March 27, 2020Jill B. Richardson and Heather L. Demirjian
Environmental Law December 17, 2019Heather L. Demirjian and Jullee Kim
Environmental Law April 11, 2019Heather L. Demirjian
Environmental Law February 19, 2019Heather L. Demirjian
Environmental Law March 30, 2017Heather L. Demirjian
The materials on this site have been prepared by Cole Schotz P.C. for general informational purposes only and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Viewers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel on the specific facts and circumstances in question from an attorney licensed in their jurisdiction. Use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship between the user and Cole Schotz or any lawyer(s) within the firm. Any information sent to Cole Schotz or its lawyers through this site will not be treated as confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege.
© Cole Schotz P.C.
This website is an advertisement for a law firm. Statements and previous outcomes do not imply similar results in your matters.
© Cole Schotz P.C.
For Important Legal Updates and Resources on the Coronavirus Click Here.