David A. Rubenstein is a seasoned real estate transactional attorney and is co-chairman of the Restaurant and Hospitality Group. He has a national practice and possesses a unique understanding of the core business needs of his clients. David consistently receives high praise from both his clients and opposing counsel for his breadth of knowledge and ability to navigate complex negotiations. His client base includes developers, landlords, tenants, entrepreneurs, investors, and other parties, whom he represents in a variety of real estate related matters including shopping center, office and residential development, sales, acquisitions and leasing, including underlying corporate work pertaining to partnerships and joint ventures. He also has extensive experience in the real estate matters of restaurants, bars and night clubs, including signature restaurants of several of the top chefs in the world.
Over the course of his legal career, David has represented his client’s in a variety of transactions, including:
- A privately held shopping center developer with a portfolio in excess of 15,000,000 square feet in a variety of real estate matters including retail leasing, service and union contracts, acquisitions and the refinancing of the entire portfolio with a multiple lender syndication;
- Serving as property manager of regional shopping center in Western Massachusetts, gaining irreplaceable hands on knowledge of shopping center management;
- A prominent New Jersey private developer in several acquisitions, sales and financing transactions;
- A New York based developer in the leasing of a strip center located in Roslyn, New York;
- A drug store chain in lease negotiations throughout New York City;
- A prominent international development company in the initial development, leasing, marketing and on-going management of high-end shopping centers in Manhattan and West Palm Beach, Florida;
- A prominent Florida developer in the planning, development and leasing of a restaurant and entertainment based shopping center in Doral, Florida;
- A national commercial REIT in the leasing of a life style shopping center in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan;
- Various development companies in the negotiation of parking garage leases throughout New York City;
- A New York City based management company in its property management agreement for, and subsequent leasing and management of, a casino supported shopping center in Las Vegas, Nevada;
- Various landlords in hundreds of retail, restaurant and entertainment lease transactions with tenants such as: Adore, Aeropostale, Alex & Ani, American Eagle, AnnTaylor, Anthropologie, Applebee’s, Armani A/X, Auntie Anne’s, Aveda, Bahama Breeze, Banana Republic, Bang & Olufsen, Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Bath & Body Works, BB King’s, Ben & Jerry’s, Bennetton, Betsy Johnson, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Blue Martini, Border’s, Bose, Bouchon Bakery, Bravo!, Brimstone, Brio Tuscan Grille, Brookstone, Brother Jimmy’s, Burberry, Burger & Beer Joint, BurgerFi, C Wonder, Cabo Flats, Calico Corners, Capital One Bank/360 Café, Carlos ‘n Charlies, Cheeburger Cheeburger, Cheesecake Factory, Chicos, City Cellars, City Tap House, Claddagh Irish Pub, Claim Jumper, Claire’s, Coach, Cobb Theater/Cinebistro, Coffeemania, Cold Stone Creamery, Coldwater Creek, Cole Haan, Comfort Shoes, Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant, Copper Blues, Cutter & Buck, CVS, Davidoff, Delia’s, Diptyque, Eileen Fisher, Equinox, Espirit, FACE Stockholm, FAO Schwarz, Field of Greens, First Republic Bank, Food Emporium, Fox Sports Grill, Francesca’s, The Fresh Market, GAP, Ghiradelli, Godiva, Gymboree, H & M, The Home Depot, Hugo Boss, Icebox Cafe, Improv, Jamba Juice, JC Penney, J Crew, J. Jill, Jo Malone, Johnston & Murphy, Jos. A. Bank, Joseph Abboud, Journeys, Kay Jewelers, Kenneth Cole, Kings Bowl, Kona Grill, LA Fitness, Lady Athlete, Lane Bryant, Legal Seafoods, Limited Too, Links of London, LK Bennett, L’Occitane, Lucky Brand, Lucky Strike, Lululemon, Macy’s, Masa (Masayoshi Takayama), McCormick & Schmick’s, Mellow Mushroom, Michael Kors, Microsoft, Mitchell’s Steakhouse, Mixtura, Mojito’s, Modell’s, Morgenthal-Frederics, Muvico, Natuzzi, New York Running Company/Jack Rabbit, New York Sports Clubs, Nicole Miller, Nine West, The Old Town Pour House, Orvis, Pacific Sunwear, Panera Bread, Paper Source, Papyrus, Parfumerie Douglas, Pei Wei, Per Se (Thomas Keller), Porter House (Michael Lomonaco), Potbelly Sandwiches, Pottery Barn, Publix, Quiksilver, The Regional (Theirry Beaud), Restoration Hardware, Revolutions, Robert Graham, Roche Bobois, Rusty Bucket, Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, Samsung, Segafredo, Select Comfort, Sephora, Sequin, Sloan’s, Solstice, Soma, Splitsville, Stage Deli, Starbucks, Stuart Weitzman, Sunglass Hut, Sushi Siam, Swarovski, Talbots, TD Ameritrade, Ted Baker, Tommy Bahama, True Religion, Tumi, V Steakhouse (Jean-George Vongerichten), Venetian Nail Spa, Victoria’s Secret, White House | Black Market, Whole Foods Market, Williams-Sonoma, Wolford, Yardhouse, and Z Gallerie;
- A New York City based women’s fashion manufacturer in general corporate matters, including consultation regarding, and negotiation of, joint venture agreements, use licenses, factor agreements;
- A real estate investment company in the negotiation of joint venture and management agreements for food and beverage concessions, including signature restaurants, for two hotel developments in midtown Manhattan;
- A Moscow based restaurant company in the site selection and subsequent lease transaction for its first restaurant in the United States and located on The Avenue of the Americas at Bryant Park;
- A national night club chain in lease negotiations throughout the United States;
- A regional ice cream store franchisor in lease negotiations throughout Florida and California for all of its franchised stores;
David is long standing member of the International Council of Shopping Centers. He is a frequent continuing legal education presenter on a variety of real estate topics, including sustainable initiatives and in-depth analysis of specific developments, the issues encountered and the impact on surrounding areas.
David earned his B.A. from The University of Hartford and his J.D. from Syracuse University College of Law.